Spring is such a great time to deep clean and clear the clutter as we exit winter time! Open those windows and let in some fresh air as you make your space bright and clean this season! Here’s a Spring Cleaning Checklist to help you clean every room in the house! (Or check out the PDF download.)
One shelf at a time:
- Recycle or throw away any empty boxes or trash
- Sort and remove any food that is expired or stale
- Wipe down shelves
- Organize the food you are keeping back on the shelf
- Pull the trash can near the fridge and make sure the sink is empty.
- Mix hot water with vinegar in a clean spray bottle, and have a microfiber towel handy.
- One shelf/drawer at a time:
- Remove all the food, sorting it between keep or trash (pay attention to expiration dates) Pro Tip: Put food you are keeping in a cooler while you clean the shelf.
- When the shelf is empty, use the vinegar solution and microfiber towel to clean and dry both sides of the shelf and the interior walls of the fridge. If there are really bad spills, you may want to remove the glass and take it to the sink to clean with soap and water.
- Reassemble the shelf/drawer
- Wipe down and organize the food you are keeping back onto the shelf/drawer
- Clean the condenser fan and coils with a vacuum.
- Make sure to wipe down the door and exterior of the fridge as well.
- Fill a microwave-safe (glass) bowl or measuring cup with about 3 cups of warm/hot tap water.
- Add chunks of lemon or bottled lemon juice to the water.
- Place the bowl of water and lemon/juice in the microwave, and “cook” it for about 4 minutes until the water boils.
- Leave the steamy lemon water in the closed microwave for an additional 5 minutes to allow the steam to loosen the caked-on food in the microwave.
- Open the door and use a microfiber cleaning cloth to wipe the interior down.
- Note: if you remove the turntable to clean in the sink, DO NOT run cold water on turntable while it is hot! This will cause it to crack!
- Make sure to wipe the inside of the door and the front of the microwave down as well.
Follow the owner’s manual to clean the filter, or replace it.
Cleaning instructions and appropriate cleaner will vary depending on the type of stove you have. I like to use vinegar and baking soda on my glass-top stove.
Mix hot water and vinegar (8:1 ratio) in a clean spray bottle, and add a squirt of dish soap. Use the mixture to spray the inside of the cool oven, then sprinkle baking soda and let it sit overnight. In the morning, use a damp sponge to wipe clean.
Place a glass filled with white vinegar on the top wrack of an otherwise empty dishwasher, then run a normal cycle with no detergent.
Drawers, Cabinets, and Cupboards
This is a great opportunity to declutter and organize the items you are keeping while you are wiping down the insides of the drawers, cabinets, and cupboards. Make sure to wipe down the outsides, too!
- Trash can
- Floor (I love using a steam mop.)
Dining room or Area
- Dining table
- Pillows, cushions, and blankets
- Rugs and mats
Laundry room or area
- Removable parts (ie bleach and fabric softener wells)
- Nooks in/under washer lid (including gasket or seal)
- Run empty load with a little vinegar added to water (once full) or follow commercial washing machine cleaner product instructions
- Lint trap
- (Unplug and) vacuum back of dryer, remove lint or dust inside vent pipe tube or just inside dryer
- Knobs, dials, and buttons
- Dust surfaces (top to bottom, left to right)
- Ceiling fan
- Bed linens/pillows
- Surface wipe down
- Organize items you are keeping
Pro-tip: Hang the items you are keeping with the hanger facing backward. After you wear/wash an item, hang it with the hanger facing normally. At the end of the season or year, you’ll know what items haven’t been worn (because the hanger will still be backwards).
- Shower curtains/doors
- Dust surfaces and electronics
- Sanitize high-touch items (mouse, keyboards, phone, remotes)
- Declutter/tidy – make sure to involve your children in decluttering decision making
- Sanitize toys
- Wash dress-up clothing
- Drapes curtains
- Tables and chairs
- Ceiling fans
- Frames and décor
- Clean windows
- Vacuum rugs, mats, and carpets
- Vacuum/sweep and mop hard flooring
Spring Cleaning Checklist
Whew! If you made it all the way to the end of the spring cleaning checklist, you deserve a gold star! I hope this spring cleaning checklist has been helpful to you in getting your home freshened up this season!